The world is changing rapidly and we, like everyone else, need to keep pace.
With that in mind, Glasgow West End Today is looking to push the model for local journalism.
But we need the help of businesses in the West End to test our idea.
We want to launch a video news service to help local businesses reach out and tell their stories.
Our idea is simple: to create compelling local news video packages for our audience – and beyond.
It would be like creating short video press releases for Scotland’s digital media platforms*.
Videos would be no more than 60 seconds in length and accompanying text around 300 words.
This is how it will work:
* Glasgow West End Today will create short video and text packages based around a ‘local story’
* We will guarantee publication on our own highly-targeted website and social media channels
* But we will go further: we will package the content for third party news platform to use first
* Businesses will pay a little extra for syndication and publication take-up (but NOT during the trial period)
* Publishers don’t pay for the content – as is the case with press releases and promotional assets
The service would help local businesses who have strong messaging they want to share.
That may be an event, an innovation or change to the business, or a personality of interest.
Whatever, the message would need to engage a general audience and readership.
But we think there are plenty of strong stories out there.
Anyway, the good news is that we are launching a promotion for just £95 + Vat.
For a trial period only, that cost would cover all content creation and distribution costs.
Editor Ian Marland said the platform just needed the right stories to test the theory.
“Glasgow West End Today has been creating simple smartphone video since it launched four years ago.
“Few media outlets have developed the medium like we have.
“Use of video is one of the reasons we have gained more than 30,000 social media followers.
“Now we want to use those skills to help local businesses find a wider audience.
“We know businesses are looking for strong platforms to get their names out there.
“And we also know news publishers are craving content, and good video content at that.
“The test is whether we can deliver the goods and find the right workflows to make this sustainable.”
‘Glasgow West End Today has been creating simple smartphone video since it launched four years ago.
‘Few media outlets have developed the medium like we have.
‘Use of video is one of the reasons we have gained more than 30,000 social media followers.
‘Now we want to use those skills to help local businesses find a wider audience’
Ian added: “The beauty for businesses is that they are guaranteed an audience either way.
“The stories will be aired on Glasgow West End Today and all its social channels regardless.
“We really think we are in a unique position to be able to offer this service.
“Local businesses will benefit in the long run if we can make this work.”
The offer may suit a cluster of businesses looking to publicise a return to trading.
A group, trade organisation or sports association are also very welcome to take up the offer.
NB. Our video content often records high levels of reach and engagement.
A news package on a local restaurant reopening last week had 60,000 views across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
The same film reached 100,000 people.
* The trial promotion is for a limited period. The fully-inclusive cost is £95 + Vat. Please note: Packages are not designed for print platforms. Prices do not include professional stills images. Clients are welcome to include fully licensed photographs.
* For further information please contact Ian via firstname.lastname@example.org