A Glasgow community will celebrate the longer days and lighter nights while giving a platform to struggling artists.
The Queen Margaret Drive Spring Fling 2021 will be the nearest thing to a street gala in the present madness.
Organisers say the event – March 22-29 – will be a Covid-secure alternative to the traditional festival that usually takes place in June.
The crowds will not be present, but the hope is that the fun will remain.
And four strands of activity will come together to make up the festival:
- Springtime Window Wonderland: QMD residents will be encouraged to decorate and display spring themed windows and flower boxes. These will be on display for the full week of the event.
- Artists and performers in Shops: Several shops on the drive will hand over their windows in March to a small team of local artists to create some fabulous shop-front art.
- Online Gala: An online programme of activities with performances from local musicians, interactive workshops for young people and adults, samba drummers and more. The content will run from 11-4pm and will be posted on Youtube throughout the day as well as on the QMD Community Facebook Page and website.
- Mini Documentaries: A series of 3 minute videos will be produced featuring the shops and owners on QMD, as well as our artists and performers. These will take the form of mini documentaries which will be uploaded as part of the online street festival
Spring Fling organiser Brendon McIlroy said: “After a very difficult 2020 which seen so many community events being cancelled and postponed, its great to be working on this fantastic family event.
“We’ve had to face the realities of ongoing restrictions but we’re not letting this deter us from delivering a much needed event to bring the community together and celebrate the arrival of Spring and hopefully the decline of this awful virus’.
“We hope you’ll join us’
Residents on Queen Margaret Drive are invited to create window displays by March 22.
Anyone wanting more information can drop organisers a message on their Facebook page.
Local musicians, singers, poets, stand up comics or groups interested in being part of our online street festival, can email email@example.com
- Queen Margaret Drive Spring Fling, March 22-29. Online Street Festival from 11-4pm on 29th March. No age restrictions. Contact/DM www.facebook.com/QueenMargaretDrive. NB: The cover image shows the street festival in 2019.